Make meal planning easy! Discover recipes, create meal plans, shopping lists and more.
Horseradish Kale Caesar Salad with Seeds
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. country ham, cut into medium dice
- 1/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 1-1/2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup grated fresh horseradish; more for serving (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 anchovies, minced
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard, preferably Maille
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches lacinato kale (about 9 oz.), ribs removed and discarded, and leaves chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut (optional)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the ham and cook, stirring often, until it becomes golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, garlic, anchovies, and mustard in a medium bowl. Pour the extra-virgin olive oil into the mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking to emulsify. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the ham, kale, sauerkraut (if using), and seeds in a large bowl. Add enough dressing to coat the salad and mix until well blended. Let the salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Toss the salad once more, adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large serving platter. Grate additional horseradish directly on top of the salad, if desired. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.