This preparation of artichokes is a very classic provincial vegetable recipe.
- 3 medium lemons, juiced
- 25 fresh baby artichokes
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice. Clean and trim the artichokes to their soft inner leaves and put into the bowl of cold lemon water as they are done.
- In a large straight-sided skillet with a cover, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the pancetta and cook until it begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the thyme and wine, and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, add the artichokes, cover, and cook until the artichokes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.