Coconut oil (especially the clean flavor of an extra-virgin coconut oil) gives the dressing Thai-inspired sweetness in this crunchy slaw of cabbage, carrots, and cucumbers.
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-1/2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1-1/2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. mirin
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 1/2 Savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 small purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 mini cucumbers, or 1 medium seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 Tbs. black sesame seeds
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Assemble the salad
- Combine the cabbages in a large bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat. Add the cucumbers, carrots, mint, and cilantro, and toss again. Season to taste with lemon juice, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, and serve immediately.