Coal-roasted Sweet Potatoe with Avocado-Cilantro Sauce
4 large (12 to 14 ounces each) sweet potatoes, scrubbed
3 ripe avocados, pitted and flesh removed
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 serraño chiles, stemmed and seeded
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire in grill. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Wrap potatoes individually in a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- When charcoal briquettes are covered with gray ash and flames have subsided, spread briquettes into an even layer on bottom grate of grill.
- Using long metal tongs, carefully place wrapped sweet potatoes on top of coals. Using a metal spatula, nestle coals around sweet potatoes; using tongs, place some coals on top of sweet potatoes. Grill, uncovered and undisturbed, for 20 minutes.
- Flip sweet potatoes over. Nestle coals around sweet potatoes again, placing some coals on top of sweet potatoes using tongs. Grill, uncovered and undisturbed, until a paring knife or cake tester very easily pierces into middle of sweet potato, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from grill and let stand while you make the sauce.
- Combine avocados, yogurt, lime zest and juice, chiles, garlic, cilantro, and parsley in a blender or food processor and process until blended and smooth. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and set aside.
- Carefully remove the foil from potatoes. Remove potato skins and place potatoes on a platter, or cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper and top with the sauce.