Make meal planning easy! Discover recipes, create meal plans, shopping lists and more.
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. molasses
- 1/3 cup mixed chopped herbs, such as dill, parsley, and chervil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1 side steelhead trout or salmon, skin on, 2 to 2-1/2 lb.
- Bread or toast, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, sugar, honey, molasses, herbs, lemon zest, and pepper. Add the gin and stir to combine.
- Place the fish skin side down in a high-sided pan large enough to fit the filet in a single layer. Spread the salt mixture over the flesh side of the trout and cover with plastic wrap. Put a heavy object, such as a brick or a few cans, into a smaller pan. Set the smaller pan on top of the fish to weigh it down, and transfer to the refrigerator for 36 hours. At about halfway through the curing time, remove the fish from the pan, turn it over, and replace the plastic wrap and weighted pan. Return to the refrigerator.
- When it is cured, rinse the trout thoroughly. Pat dry and thinly slice the flesh across the grain. Serve with thinly sliced bread or toast and lemon wedges.