Fresh tarragon supplies a hint of anise flavor to this cocktail made with earthy pear brandy, and the simple syrup lightly sweetens. To make the simple syrup, mix equal parts sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Immediately remove from the heat and let the syrup cool.
- 1 Tbs. (1/2 oz.) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp. (1/4 oz.) simple syrup
- 1 sprig tarragon
- 1-1/2 Tbs. (3/4 oz.) pear brandy
- 1-1/2 Tbs. (3/4 oz.) white vermouth
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together the simple syrup, lemon juice, and the tarragon. Add the pear brandy, the white vermouth, and enough ice to fill the shaker. Shake until mixed and well chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain the cocktail into an ice-filled lowball glass.