Chef Evans puts a Moroccan spin on this refreshing salad with pistachios, mint, and a healthy dose of sumac, the tart, deeply red spice that is an essential in the Middle Eastern kitchen. Find out more about sumac.
Grated Carrot and Raisin Salad
- 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup pistachios, toasted
- 1/4 cup golden and/or black raisins
- 1 red Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. ground sumac
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the carrots, almonds, pistachios, raisins, chile, and sumac in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to mix. Taste and adjust seasoning. Gently fold in the mint and parsley, and serve at room temperature.