Green Salad with Fennel, Eggs and Shallot-Anchovy Vinaigrette
- 2 bulbs baby fennel, tops trimmed and thinly shaved crosswise
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 to 3 fillets anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 6 large handfuls mixed mesclun lettuces
- ⅓ cup (lightly packed) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Place fennel in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, and tarragon. Gently toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to refrigerator and let marinate, at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours in advance.
Prepare an ice bath. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add eggs and adjust heat to maintain a gentle boil. Cook eggs 7 minutes. Remove to prepared ice bath and let sit until eggs are cool, at least 5 minutes.
Combine shallots, mustard, anchovies, champagne vinegar, water, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until emulsified and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Peel and halve eggs. Place lettuces in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide among serving plates, topped with eggs, marinated fennel, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve.