Make meal planning easy! Discover recipes, create meal plans, shopping lists and more.
Grilled Herb-Stuffed Trout
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbs. garlic scapes, finely chopped (see tip)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped chives
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. coarsely chopped thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole trout (about 8 to 8-1/2 oz. each), gutted, scaled, heads and tails on
- 2 lemons, 1 cut into 8 slices and the other cut into 8 wedges
- Olive oil, for grilling and serving
- Pea shoots, for serving
- Edible flowers, for serving (optional)
- Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire. Put the butter, scapes, garlic, chives, parsley, thyme, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Fold together with a spatula until combined. Set aside.
- Season the interior and exterior of each trout with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Place some the butter mixture in the interior cavity of each fish, dividing it evenly among them with 2 slices of lemon. Lightly brush the outside of each fish with olive oil. Transfer to the grill and cook until the skin is charred, 3 to 3-1/2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the trout to a large platter, top with the pea shoots, a drizzle of olive oil, and the edible flowers, if using. Serve with the lemon wedges.