If you can’t find Asian pears or fresh papaya, substitute any firm pear of choice, or use mango. You can also substitute canned pineapple for the fresh.
Grilled Shrimp, Hibachi-Style with Fruit Salad
For the marinade
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- 4 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only
- 12 jumbo shrimp, tails left on, peeled and cleaned
For the compound butter
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Zest of 1 lime
- Kosher salt
For the shrimp
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh sorrel or watercress leaves
For the fruit salad
- 2 Tbs. seeded, ribbed, and coarsely chopped jalapeño
- 2 Tbs. palm sugar
- 2 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 4 limes)
- 1 cup thinly sliced pineapple wedges
- 2 cups cored, peeled, and thinly sliced Asian pear wedges
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced papaya wedges
Marinate the shrimp
- Combine the oil, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, and the basil in a blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the shrimp, tossing to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours.
Make the compound butter
- Combine the butter, garlic, lime zest, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a medium bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
Grill the shrimp
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to high.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and grill, turning once, until slightly charred and just cooked through, about 1 minute on each side. Immediately transfer the shrimp to the bowl with the compound butter. Let cool slightly, and then add the mint, basil, cilantro, and sorrel. Toss to evenly coat the shrimp. Set aside.
Make the fruit salad
- Combine the jalapeño, sugar, and fish sauce in a small food processor. Add the lime juice and process until a loose dressing forms. Put the fruit wedges in a large bowl and toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Transfer the fruit salad to a serving platter, top with the shrimp, and serve with the remaining dressing.