Molasses and orange juice are a deep-bright blend that, with a touch of allspice, brings a more complex flavor to sweet potatoes.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Molasses Glaze
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for the grill rack
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a 3-quart pot, cover with cold water by 1 inch, and add 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a simmer, partially covered, then simmer until just tender. They should give with some resistance when pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the potatoes as they are done, and drain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the molasses, orange juice, butter, allspice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for medium heat. Oil the grill rack, arrange the potatoes on the grill and cook, flipping once, until grill marks appear on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Brush the tops with some of the molasses mixture, turn over and cook 30 seconds. Brush the second sides with the molasses mixture, turn over and cook 30 seconds more. Transfer the potatoes to a serving platter and season to taste with salt.