The only way to improve this salad would be to serve it in season with the freshest local beans you can get your hands on.
Mixed Bean Salad with Red Onion Vinaigrette
- Kosher salt
- 8 oz. green string beans, trimmed
- 8 oz. yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 8 oz. purple string beans, trimmed
- 6 oz. shelled fava beans
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard, preferably Maille
- 1 Tbs. honey Dijon mustard, preferably Maille
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pea shoots, for garnish, optional
- Edible flowers, such as pansies or nasturtiums, for garnish, optional
- Prepare an ice water bath. Bring a 6-quart pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the green beans, yellow wax beans, and purple string beans and blanch until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the beans from the water with a spider or slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath. When they’re cool, arrange the beans in a single layer on a paper-towel-lined tray and pat dry. Reserve the beans in a large bowl.
- Refresh the ice water bath if necessary. Allow the blanching water to return to a boil, add the favas to the boiling water, and blanch until just tender, about 1 minute. Remove the favas from the water with a spider or slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath. When they’re cool, place the favas on a paper-towel-lined tray and pat dry. Add them to the large bowl with the beans.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion, mustards, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt. Whisk to combine while slowly drizzling in the oil. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Pour the vinaigrette over beans, toss to combine, and let marinate for 30 to 45 minutes. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, and if using, garnish with pea shoots and edible flowers before serving.