In this simple salad, the warm olive oil used to fry the almonds is then added to garlic and sherry vinegar for a vinaigrette packed with flavor.
Orange, Fennel, and Almond Salad with Arugula
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- Kosher salt
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 navel oranges
- 3 oz. (2 cups lightly packed) arugula
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, halved, cored, and thinly sliced, plus 3 Tbs. fennel fronds reserved and roughly chopped
- Drop the onions slices into a bowl of ice water.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, combine the olive oil and almonds. Set over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the oil is bubbling and the almonds are lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Remove the almonds to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Season with salt.
- Transfer the hot oil from the saucepan to a small bowl and add the garlic. The mixture will sizzle. Add the sherry vinegar and season generously with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Use a chef’s knife to cut the peel off the oranges, making sure that none of the bitter white pith remains. Slice the oranges crosswise into thin rounds and arrange on a serving platter.
- Drain the onions and pat dry. Put them in a large bowl, along with the arugula and fennel slices. Add enough dressing to coat, season with salt and pepper, and arrange on top of the oranges. Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.