If you make the peperonata ahead of time, bring it to room temperature and adjust the salt, pepper, and vinegar before serving.
Peperonata on Baguette Toasts
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/3-inch slices
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for toasts and for seasoning (about 7 Tbs.)
- 2 lb. (about 7) assorted mild to medium-hot fresh peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 lb. chanterelle, white button, or cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed, and roughly chopped (to yield about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, roughly chopped (to yield 1 cup)
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup pitted chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup pitted chopped green olives, such as Picholine or Lucques
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. capers, drained and chopped
- 2 Tbs. red-wine vinegar; more for seasoning
- 1-1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make baguette toasts:
- Heat your oven broiler. Brush the baguette slices on both sides with olive oil. Put the slices under the broiler, turning once, until golden and toasted.
Make the peperonata:
- Heat the 1/2 cup olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan or skillet over high heat. Add the peppers, mushrooms, and onion, and sauté, stirring frequently, until the liquid released by the vegetables evaporates and the vegetables start to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium. If the pan seems too dry, add a little more oil. Continue cooking until the onions are translucent and the peppers and mushrooms are extremely soft, about another 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the olives, parsley, capers, vinegar, and anchovy paste. Stir in more olive oil to make the peperonata moist and oily. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more vinegar if needed. Transfer the peperonata to a bowl and refrigerate or serve right away with baguette toasts.
Make Ahead Tips
The peperonata can be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated. The baguette toasts can be made a few hours ahead of time and kept at room temperature. Spoon the peperonata onto the toasts just before serving.