The addition of radishes and fennel to this traditional British favorite contributes an aromatic dimension to the flavor along with a slightly crunchy texture. Serve it as a side with roast pork or chicken, or try adding a bowl of piccalilli to the table the next time you serve a cheese platter.
For the vegetables
- 1/4 small cauliflower, cut into very small florets (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, stems removed, cut into small dice (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 4 medium radishes, cut into 8 wedges each (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small dice (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
For the pickling mixture
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 tsp. English mustard powder
- 4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin seeds
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
Prepare the vegetables
- In a large bowl combine the cauliflower, cucumber, fennel, green beans, radishes, and pepper and toss together with the salt. Transfer the mixture to a colander placed inside a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Rinse the vegetables very well with cold water, drain, and set aside.
Make the pickling mixture and finish the piccalilli
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, mustard powder, turmeric, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the vinegar until smooth.
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the remaining 1-3/4 cups of vinegar and the sugar to a boil, whisking to ensure the sugar is fully dissolved. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture, add the bay leaf, and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, add the vegetables, and toss to combine. Cool slightly, transfer into Mason jars, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make Ahead Tips
The finished piccalilli will keep for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.