This makes enough sauce for a double batch of crab cakes, or you can save the sauce and use it with poached shrimp, pan-fried oysters, or other seafood.
Red-Eye Cocktail Sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp. finely ground coffee, preferably dark or espresso roast
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2-1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Put the finely ground coffee in a paper coffee filter cone set in a strainer over a Pyrex measuring cup or small heatproof bowl. Bring a small amount of water to a boil. Pour about 2 Tbs. (the exact amount isn’t important) boiling water into the filter cone and allow the liquid coffee to drain off. Discard the liquid and transfer the moistened coffee grounds from the paper cone to a bowl—you may need to scrape the coffee off the paper with a small spoon. Add the ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, and Worcestershire, and stir. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to a week.