You can add more ginger simple syrup to each cocktail if you like. You can also easily double the recipe and keep the syrup in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Soju is a clear, light spirit traditionally distilled from rice, wheat, or barley.
Rhubarb-Ginger Soju Sling
For the ginger simple syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup peeled and coarsely chopped fresh ginger
For each cocktail
- 2 Tbs. rhubarb, finely chopped
- 3 medium fresh mint leaves plus additional small leaves for garnish
- 2 oz. soju
Make the simple syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, ginger, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Stir until the sugar dissolves. When cool, strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a jar with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the cocktail
- In a rocks glass, using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, muddle the rhubarb and mint. Add 2 Tbs. of the ginger syrup and enough ice to fill the glass. Add the soju and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the small mint leaves.