Using a combination of red and golden beets for this salad makes it visually stunning as well as delicious. The vanilla-citrus vinaigrette is simple to make and great as a sauce for grilled fish or chicken.
Roasted Beet Salad with Romaine and Vanilla–Citrus Vinaigrette
- 2 lb. medium beets (about 6; preferably a combination of red and golden), without greens, scrubbed
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice (from 2 small grapefruit)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (from 3 medium oranges)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbs. mild honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hearts of romaine, leaves separated
- 1 oz. (1 cup) microgreens (optional)
- 2 oz. Villa Jack or aged manchego, shaved in shards with a sharp vegetable peeler (about 1/2 cup)
- Position rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the beets in a small baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water and cover tightly with foil. Roast the beets until they are tender when pierced with a small sharp knife, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the grapefruit and orange juices in a small, heavy saucepan. Scrape the vanilla seed pulp from the pod into the pan and drop in the pod. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and boil until the liquid is thickened and syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and let cool completely.
- Once cool, remove the vanilla bean. Whisk in the vinegar and honey until blended. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream, whisking until combined. Whisk in 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Peel the beets once they are cool enough to handle, but still warm. Cut the beets into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss all of the beets in a medium bowl with enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat.
- In a large bowl, toss the romaine with enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat and arrange the leaves on a serving platter. Top with the beets, microgreens (if using), and cheese shards. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.