The flavors of the Middle East, earthy roasted carrots, and sweet, creamy ricotta create something special in this easy crowd-pleasing starter.
Roasted Carrot Crostini with Honeyed Ricotta
- 2 lb. multicolor carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling
- 3 Tbs. dukkah
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ricotta (about 2 cups), at room temperature
- 2 tsp. honey; more to taste
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices, toasted (about 20 slices)
- Flaky sea salt, for serving
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Put the carrots on a large rimmed baking sheet, and toss with 3 Tbs. of the oil, the dukkah, 1 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper until well coated. Roast until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, honey, the remaining 1 Tbs. oil, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- When the carrots are cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, and transfer to a medium bowl. Spread a slice of baguette with 1-1/2 to 2 Tbs. of the honey-cheese mixture. Top with several pieces of carrot, and garnish with flaky sea salt. Repeat with the remaining bread and topping, transfer to a platter, drizzle with oil, and serve.