If you can’t find torpedo onions, you can substitute 10 large scallions plus 1 medium red onion cut into wedges. Vadouvan is a French-style curry powder; you can substitute your favorite curry powder.
Roasted Carrots with Nasturtiums
For the roasted carrots and onions
- 10 thin carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 10 torpedo onions, trimmed to a length of 5 inches
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the carrot sauce
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, cut into medium dice (about 3 oz.)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into medium dice (about 5 oz.)
- 1 rib celery, cut into medium dice (about 3 oz.)
- 1/4 small celery root, cut into medium dice (about 3 oz.)
- Sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
For the vadouvan curry sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. vadouvan or other curry powder
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. minced shallots
- 1/2 oz. black garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. grapefruit zest
- Nasturtium flowers, for garnish (optional)
Roast the vegetables
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the carrots on 1 foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and the onions on another. Distribute the oil between the 2 pans and season each pan with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; toss until the vegetables are evenly coated. Roast until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes for the onions, and 40 to 45 minutes for the carrots. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the carrot sauce
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and celery root. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and slightly caramelized but not dark, 12 to 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of broth, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 5 more minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender and purée until thick and smooth, adding more broth if necessary. Season to taste with additional salt.
Make the curry sauce
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and then add the vadouvan and 1/2 tsp. salt. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add the shallots and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the black garlic and grapefruit zest, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Transfer the roasted carrots and onions to a serving platter. Top the vegetables with the carrot sauce. Top the carrot sauce with the curry sauce. Garnish with nasturtium flowers, if using. Serve immediately.