Fruit gets dynamic in this dessert that—with its sauce of dark chocolate, cayenne, and tequila—nods to the flavors of Mexico.
Roasted Strawberries with Dark Chocolate and Smoked Chile Sauce
For the roasted strawberries
- 1/2 cup mild honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other full-bodied red wine
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs. strawberries, hulled
For the chocolate sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbs. mild honey
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- Kosher salt
- 4 oz. fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (70–72% cacao), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. tequila (preferably aged), optional
Roast the strawberries
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the honey, balsamic, wine, and cinnamon until blended. Add the strawberries and stir gently to coat. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and roast in the oven until the fruit is softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make chocolate sauce
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, mix the cream, honey, paprika, espresso powder, cayenne, and a pinch of salt, and cook over medium-low heat until the edges of the mixture begin to bubble.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the chocolate. Let stand 1 minute then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and tequila (if using). Cool to warm or room temperature before using.
- Transfer the strawberries to individual shallow serving bowls. Drizzle with the chocolate sauce and serve right away.