This succulent shrimp stir-fry is quick to make and big on flavor. Serve with rice or noodles to soak up the spicy coconut sauce.
Shrimp in Spicy Thai Coconut Sauce
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh galangal root or powder
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped lemongrass (use the tender interior only)
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped seeded Thai bird chiles or serranos
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped garlic
- 2 lb. jumbo (21 to 25 per lb.) or extra-large (26 to 30 per lb.) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup well-shaken unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a 12- to 14-inch wok or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the ginger, galangal, lemongrass, chile, and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until opaque on the outside and partially cooked, about 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, and fish sauce and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are just opaque in the center, about 1 minute more.
- Spoon the shrimp onto 6 dinner plates, and top with any sauce remaining in the wok. Garnish with cilantro and serve.