These eggs get a punch from briny capers, pickled red onions, anchovy, and fresh herbs. When topped with fresh uni and salmon roe, they become otherworldly.
Soft-Boiled Eggs with Uni-Herb Mayo
For the pickled red onion
- 1-1/2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbs. black peppercorns
- 1 Tbs. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbs. caraway seeds
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 medium cinnamon sticks
- 2 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
For the eggs
- 8 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably Japanese style, such as Kewpie
- 3 Tbs. capers, drained, rinsed, and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. piment d’Espelette; more to taste
- 3 oz. uni, lightly spread with the side of a knife until smooth
- Fine sea salt
- 1 oz. salmon roe, for garnish
Pickle the onion
- In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, and salt with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 5 minutes. Put the onion in a medium bowl, and pour the mixture through a strainer over the onion. Let sit to soften, about 1 hour.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks (be sure the onion is submerged in the pickling liquid).
Make the eggs
- Fill a large bowl with ice water; set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the eggs and reduce heat to maintain a steady boil. Cook for 7 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer the eggs to the ice water. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, capers, 3 Tbs. of the pickled onions, 1 Tbs. of the pickling liquid, parsley, tarragon, anchovy paste, mustard, and piment d’Espelette. Add the uni and gently fold to combine. Season to taste with salt and additional piment d’Espelette.
- Peel the eggs, cut in half lengthwise, transfer to a serving platter, and top with the uni-mayonnaise mixture. Garnish with the roe and serve.