This quick dish is bright and fresh. Experiment with different herbs and toasted seeds for topping.
Summer Squash with Jalapeño, Herbs, and Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbs. minced pickled jalapeño slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 Tbs. avocado or olive oil; more for the grill
- 1-1/2 lb. yellow squash (about 2 large), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 lb. zucchini (about 2 large), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare a medium-high (400°F to 475°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, oregano, thyme, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Set aside.
- Oil the grill grate. Brush the squash with the oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill the squash, flipping once, until tender and grill marks appear, about 9 minutes total.
- Transfer the squash to a platter. Top with the lemon mixture, and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature.