Nick Roberts, Chef Williamson’s husband and co-chef at the couple’s L.A. restaurants, uses both tequila and mezcal in this colorful cocktail with a kick. While tequila is made from the blue agave plant, mezcal can be made from any number of agave varieties, and often has a smokier flavor.
The Ruby Cigar Cocktail
- 1 fl. oz. (2 Tbs.) white tequila
- 1/2 fl. oz. (1 Tbs.) mezcal
- 1/2 fl. oz. (1 Tbs.) cranberry liqueur
- Dash of aromatic bitters
- 1 whole star anise, for garnish
- Combine the tequila, mezcal, cranberry liqueur, and bitters in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and stir until chilled. Strain into a rocks glass over a single large square ice cube, filling the glass half to three-quarters full. Garnish with star anise.