Peppery greens complement the sweet, clean flavor of watermelon in this salad topped with creamy goat cheese.
Watermelon & Goat Cheese Salad
- 5 lb. watermelon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. Banyuls or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 finger radish
- 1 Tbs. minced shallots
- 1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 3-1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. white truffle oil
- 1 cup loosely packed watercress
- 1 cup loosely packed arugula
- 1 cup loosely packed microgreens
- 1-1/2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Cut the watermelon into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
- Boil 1/4 cup of the vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until sticky, add the pine nuts and mix with a spoon to coat. Spread the mixture onto a small baking sheet, and separate the nuts. Let cool completely.
- Thinly slice the radish and place in a small bowl of ice water.
- Combine the remaining 2 Tbs. vinegar, the shallots, Dijon, honey, and both of the oils in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Combine the watercress, arugula, and microgreens in a medium bowl, and gently toss with just enough of the dressing to coat.
- Arrange the watermelon chunks on a platter. Crumble the goat cheese over the watermelon. Drain the radish. Arrange the greens and radish over the watermelon and then sprinkle with the pine nuts. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.