Purple Sweet Potato Pie
For the Filling
2 lb. purple yams (or orange sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup canned coconut milk
2 Tbs. tapioca starch
2 tsp. cinnamon (you can also use pumpkin pie spice if you’d like)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Crust
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
1 cup almond meal
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of pie pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine ingredients for the grain free crust. Pulse until it all comes together.
- Using your hands press the “dough” into the bottom.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add the purple yams and boil for 15 minutes. Drain the yams and put them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, tapioca starch, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pie crust and bake for 45 minutes. If the edges of pie start to brown to quickly, create a ring of aluminum foil and place on top of the edges to protect it.
More recipes to try:
Maitake Mushrooms au Poivre